My atheist mission statement – your turn
May 21, 2010 § 6 Comments
On October 10, 2009 I started this blog, and made a dedicated page for my mission statement, which at the time read like this:
“It’s not easy to be someone whose opinions and social standpoint may be at ends with the society at large. The position itself can lead one to become a reviled and hated member of society, except among those who agree with them. It’s so easy for a person to come forward and belittle the ideas of others, and oh-so-easy to dismiss the feelings and beliefs of others. I have, from personal experience, noticed how my words can affect others, sometimes positively, and sometimes very negatively.
With this in mind, and trying to be as fair as possible to all involved, I am writing this mission statement and posting it where all can see if they wish. This will change over time, as I don’t know all the answers, not am I a sociologist, and will be making decisions based on what I observe.
- I aim to be as fair to all concerned with my comments as possible. Unfairness comes from ignorance and cruelty. Neither of these things are on my agenda.
- I aim, with the exception for the occasional rant, to be as clear and concise as possible with my posts. If I deviate from this it means I am not thinking clearly and should probably not be posting at all at that time.
- I do not want to ridicule those with whom I disagree. From ridicule can come no good, only backlash and resentment. If the writing has nowhere to go but into the realm of ridicule, then it has already run its course and should be abandoned there.
- I aim to treat other with sensitivity and understanding. This does not, however, mean I will agree with what others have to say just to be courteous.
- I welcome all comments on this blog, however I expect my blog commenters to abide by the points in my mission statement when posting. Deviation from this will be deleted at my discretion.”
I promised myself that I would revisit these points periodically as the need presented itself. It’s only been 7 months now that I’ve been writing this blog, and I have posted 36 articles, had 24,000 visits, and had nearly 500 comments from a broad range of people, and while I feel that my knowledge has increased massively, I still hold that these points to ring true with me.
As a follow up to my last article, I’d like to open up to you, my readers, and find out how you might change these points if at all. Do you think that my standpoint is valid, and if not, why not? I want some feedback please, this is your turn!